 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5010
Re: Train? thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 14:53:22 GMT

Derek Raycraft wrote:

First I played with adding a second line on the lower level.  I set this
up in such a way that it would allow for several standard modules to be
added to the layout.  I also played with some different turn geometry to
give larger sweeping curves.

Cool!  I didn't know the wide turns came out so close to even with the
geometry.

Jeff VW dam needs to be fit in to, so I placed it on the other side.

Jeff, you should think about where your dam would be coolest - we
*could* have a river gorge coming down under the trestle and feeding
your module...

So anyway pictures would be nice.  The first one is of a layout the same
size as Jeff E's original design.  The second I enlarged to get more
space to stand in the middle.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/derek/miscellaneous/hightown1.gif
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/derek/miscellaneous/hightown2.gif

I notice that there's no connection between the inner and outer loops.
If we want one, there's space for one of those four-switch specials
under Hightown in your second layout.

In the first layout, we could do it if we lost the wide turns (which are
underground, anyway).

Susan suggested that we rename Hightown "Altenburg".  It gives a more
European sound, and it derives from both "high" and "old".

In a related post, Jeff VW said:
Second is better... Because I am too lazy to go back 50+ posts... Was High
town built on 18 - 20 bricks? or was it a wooden structure?  Bricks would be
cool, but costly...

As I planned it, the lower level track is elevated 0.1, and the Hightown
track is elevated 18.0.  That means that the supports for the Hightown
baseplates need to be at most 17.1 to allow the track to be slightly
elevated there, too.

http://extranet.telepres.com/staff/jeffe/train_height_hightown.gif

Jeff E