 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4517
Re: rtl11 Concerns, finalized date and stuff soon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 29 May 2002 04:10:50 GMT

Hi folks,

I need some commentary on a few issues, as I'm going to book the room in the
next few days for August 17th, 2002.

I have no problem with the date.

a) RCXes.  Currently we're at a single RCX rule.  Does anyone feel that this
contest might require two RCXes, especially since the flag can be anywhere
on the middle table?

I'll go with one RCX.

b) Random Flag Placement.  Do we want to put the flag anywhere or just in
the center of the center table?  Since we've had a very bad track record of
finding objects and locations in rtl, Iain suggested today everyone might
just run over the flag instead of search, detect and manipulate the flag.

At the beginning of each match a flag is always placed in the centre of the
middle island. Competing bots start in opposing corners of end islands. The
goal of the game is to be the first to raise the flag.

c) Flag Top.  Currently a single full bushing.  Anyone against replacing
this with a pulley wheel for easier gripping/indexing?

Pulley wheel.

d) Robots not going across.  One person emailed and asked if it was okay to
stay on your home island and grab the flag remotely.  I'm of the opinion
this is just as hard as crossing the chasm (ooh, irritating business
buzzphrase!) so it should be allowed.

If the object of the game is to be the first to raise the flag, then
"crossing the chasm" is simply a means to an end. I would prefer the game
not curtail any creative solutions with complex scoring and rules.

Calum

My opinion on scoring...

Score 1 point for a win (first bot to raise flag) and 0 points for a loss.
If both bots fail to raise the flag (is there going to be a time limit?),
both lose (objective not achieved) and 0 points are awarded.

Paul