 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3776
Re: rtl10 robot roll call
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 17:48:25 GMT

I know its a little late, but here is the specs for my robot. By the way, I
like recording all of the specs of each robot. Calum, can you post this info
on the rtl site when the pictures go up? It would be neat to have a summary
of the robots and their builders along side the pictures.

Robot's Name : eXpedite

Designer's Name(s) : Rob Stehlik (hardware), Milan Stehlik (software)

# of RCXs : 1

# of Scouts : 0

Other Smart Bricks Used : battery boxes are kind of smart...

Programing Language: LegOS. I wouldn't recomend it to anybody except for
expert programmers. It was a real challenge to use.

# of Motors and Types : 7 in total: 4 gear motors for the axes (two each), 1
gear motor for the valve switching, and 2 gear motors for the compressor

# of Touch Sensors : 6

# of Light Sensors : 1

# of Rotation Sensors: None

Pneumatics: Entirely pneumatic lift and grip mechanism. Pneumatics are a
challenge to use, but oh so fun to watch! I should mention my use of an old
style single acting cylinder for my lift actuator. This was because they use
half as much air, and move a lot faster (less friction). It only required
some elastics to pull it back, and some trickery at the valve.

Robot Design Description: I used a string drive system to keep all of the
motors off board. It was much simpler and less elegant than Dereks or Johns
designs. The pulleys just drive the string to pull the frames along their
slides. I got the idea of using two frames from a joystick (inside the
joystick, as you move the stick, two frames move independantly to rotate two
pots that register the movements). My robot is essentially the opposite of
this, in that I moved the frames to move the gripper around. Once the frames
were done, in keeping with the light and fast idea, I decided to use
pneumatics for the lift and grip. I used a differential based direction
splitter to run two pneumatic valves on one motor. So, there you have it,
except for the compressor. This was a real challenge, to build a Lego
compressor to keep up with my robots demand.

# of MiniFigs: All of the minifigs I own: None