 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3793
Re: rtl10 robot roll call
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 18:18:03 GMT

Just like Rob, I'm getting my info in a bit late....

It was a lot of fun to build the robot, but also quite challenging.
I don't think I've ever built something this complex, nor spent so much
time on 1 LEGO project, as I did on this Xbot.  Considering I only got my
RCX (and started on the robot) in late January, I'm happy I got the robot
running reliably, albeit slowly.  But like Chris, I feel exhausted and
mentally drained.  I know this shouldn't be said in a LEGO users group, but
I'm happy to put the LEGO aside for a little bit.  Time to get back to my
thesis :)

Great competition everyone!!!  Thanks to everyone who showed up, helped in
organizing the event, and in judging it!!  Looking forward to rtlToronto 10.1.

John

Robot's Name :  Borg

Designer's Name(s) : John Guerquin (mechanical), Arek Biel (software)

# of RCXs : 1

# of Scouts : 0

Other Smart Bricks Used : 0

Programing Language: NQC

# of Motors and Types : 3 9V geared motors

# of Touch Sensors : 2

# of Light Sensors : 1

# of Rotation Sensors: 0

# of Temperature Sensors: 0

Pneumatics: 0

Robot Design Description:
Single string driven by 2 motors (mounted on the base) for X and Y-axis
positioning.  String was looped such that rotation of the motors in opposite
directions resulted in X-axis movement.  Rotation in the same direction
resulted in Y-axis movement.  Position sensing was done by touch sensors for
both axes.  This proved to be the most difficult aspect of the design in
terms of reliability.  However, following the good old KISS prinicple solved
my reliability problems.  String was looped around 50mm diameter pneumatic
tires, eliminating any chance of slipping.  Tires were driven by the motors
through a 1:5 reduction (8tooth to 40tooth gears), but once the positioning
reliability issue was solved, it was sped up to 1:3 reduction (8 to 24).

The grabber used a scissor-type mechanism that used the weight of the block
to close the jaws, and lift the block.  This didn't always work perfectly,
as the LEGO 3x3 blocks were quite light.  The coolest aspect of this
mechanism was that it would have worked much better (more reliably) if the
blocks were made of something heavier, like steel.  Block sensing was done
using the light sensor, which was calibrated at the beginning of each run to
the ambient light levels.

# of MiniFigs: 0