 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 2218
Re: monkey rungs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 15:10:25 GMT

My 2c on various things in this thread:

Regarding rules changes:  Rob, it's fine with me if we allow non-RCX
solutions.  Changing the rules to allow for solutions we hadn't
considered seems reasonable.  One temptation you have to avoid, though,
is expanding the rules to disallow any solution other than the one
you've got.

I'm all for ruling out things which "drive" on top of the rungs - I've
built 'em, they're fast, easy, not a challenge.  Not really what this
was about.  And we had a weak rule which tried to avoid that early on -
the "no projecting past the top of the 2x4" rule.

But not using the ends of the rungs?  Not touching the 2x4?  Not
reaching over and spanking the other guy's monkey?  Why can't we use the
features of the ladder as deisgned?  Not to put words in Chris' mouth,
or anything, but whatever happened to primal rage in ABS?  Why did we
bother to build a paired ladder if the monkeys can't interfere with one
another?  It's a *whole lot* easier to build a ladder with even,
parallel rungs is you build it "normally" - that is, with a bar on each
side and rungs spanning the middle.  Then we could just time the monkeys
and it gets... dull.

Just wondering how we're supposed to build a monkey that's a 16" cube
(legal) that doesn't leave the 12" wide area of the rung span?  Tricky.

Resist the urge to over-control the contest.

As for padding, I've got a 6 or 7 foot long inflatable camping sleep pad
that would certainly take the edge off of any fall.  It's more than 2'
wide, so it'd be adequate, and it's light and easy to bring.

And Chris has plenty of hot air to inflate it :)

Jeff E

Calum Tsang wrote:

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Bruce Sheridan writes:

I think the pictures on the rtlToronto site are great and I plan to build
the ladder exactly as depicted (16 rungs, every 6 inches, starting 3 inches
in from one end of the 2x4). I suggest the height of the legs be approx 24
inches.

You might wish to have that entire assembly with legs put onto a table or
two.  This would make it easier to place and start robots, to catch them if
they fall, plus would give everyone around a better view.

Padding???…Are you a train guy?

Oh, it never stops :)

Calum