 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 2181
Re: T-Shirt
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 18:40:29 GMT

Rob Stehlik wrote:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=derek

Wow, Derek, nice walkers! I love pneumatics. I gotta build me a pneumatic
walker someday... Need more small cylinders... Should order them from the
UK... What did you use as your compressor? Do your walkers turn? Also, about
the monkey thing, if you can build such classy walkers, surely you can build
a monkey! Keep at it! I want to see as many monkeys as possible!
Rob

Thanks, its fun building pneumatic walkers.  I was inspired to build them based
on a walker website I read that said it was impractical to build walkers with
pneumatics.  Can't remember the site now.

So far my walkers have only been able to walk in a straight line.  Once I'd
finished version 3.5 I developed some ideas on how to make it steer, but I
haven't been inspired enough to start version 4.0.

The one thing I'm very happy about is that they are autonomous, so the
compressor and batteries are all on board.

Version 1 uses two compressor cylinders, and just used a delay timer in the RCX
to know when it had enough pressure to take a step.

They aren't very good pictures of the compressor.  The problem with this design
was the 16 tooth gears took a lot of abuse from the backlash of the cylinders
passing from compression to the return stroke and back.  There was a trail of
fine gray power left on the ground as this one walked by.

Version 3.5 uses four compressor cylinders, and a pressure sensor arrangement
to know when it could take a step.

Again not very good pictures of the compressor.  In this case I used belts to
drive the compressor cylinders, this way the backlash was taken up by the belt
and no gears where harmed.

Here is the pressure sensor:

Unfortunately yet another not very good picture.  Under the plate at the head
of the cylinder is two small shock absorber/springs and a touch sensor.  The
springs push against the cylinder's extension.  When the pressure was high
enough the cylinder would compress the springs to the point it hit the touch
sensor.

Incase you are wondering Versions 2 and 3.0 where such spectacular failures it
wasn't even worth taking pictures of them.  Although the main body design of
3.0 made it into 3.5.

One day I'll build another one, I would like to make one that can turn, and
walk over uneven ground.

As for the monkey I'll definitely keep trying.  The problem is, like with the
walkers, I tend to go for the overly complicated solution.   What I really need
now is a test course. Hopefully I can talk my dad into building me a short one
this weekend.

Derek