 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 17226
Re: So I got this NXT thingy....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 22:14:50 GMT

On 2-Mar-07, at 7:47 PM, John Barnes wrote:

I have to mention that I have been bulding studless "things" for
over a year now
and when I started it, I hated it. Didn't seem easy or obvious, no
particular
way up, and it seemed to need a lot of planning because ripping it
apart all the
time to go back in and add attachment points etc seemed to take
forever. So I
was unhappily "hating" it all this time. Well, at least that's what
I thought. I
had to build an RIS type robot for a demo the other day and I kept
finding
myself wanting to use studless parts because it just seemed right.
I was very
surprised. Perhaps this studless stuff grows on you without you
even noticing
it. Very insidious if you ask me!

I have to agree with you, it does grow on you.  I'm not opposed to
the studless system.  It offers a lot of flexibility.  Like you I'm
getting used to it.

However I do think it's a tricky concept for kids at the FLL age.  I
think there is a natural desire to stack stuff.  Kids do that from a
very early age.  It's one of the first things we teach kids about
manipulating the world.  It doesn't matter if it's Lego or wooden
blocks.  Most RCX FLL robots exhibit a clear bottom up construction.
So far the NXT robots I've seen have not strayed far from just
sticking stuff on the default robot that comes with the kit.  The is
not to say the RCX designs are brilliant.  But so far I've seen more
creativity from the RCX robots.

For myself building studless I find that I can build components quite
well, but I have to go back to my old ways for hooking it all
together.  Part of it may be that I have studded beams in the 100s
and 1000s but I've only got studless beams in the 10s.

I tend to build in iterations, keeping iterations until it's clear I
don't have a need for an earlier iteration or I've run out of pieces
and need the pieces from the earlier iteration.  I've got more then
enough studed supplies to approach building in this way.  I don't
have the supplies to do this with studless.  I think this is a big
part of my frustration with studless these days.

One day I'll correct this imbalance. :-)

Derek