 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 17225
Re: So I got this NXT thingy....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 21:13:34 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, John Barnes wrote:
That's the largest barrier for me with that NXT...studless
construction.  I know
there are studless converts here (Iain, JohnG, Ivan) but for me, I
find it
really difficult.  It's like Chris and programming in C.

That's what I found at FLL this year too.  A lot of teams had NXTs
but didn't end up using them because they found them harder to build
with.

The kids get the idea of stacking blocks one on top of another.  It's
a whole other head space when building stud-less.  I think the
biggest problem is figuring out where to start.

I have to mention that I have been bulding studless "things" for over a year now
and when I started it, I hated it. Didn't seem easy or obvious, no particular
way up, and it seemed to need a lot of planning because ripping it apart all the
time to go back in and add attachment points etc seemed to take forever. So I
was unhappily "hating" it all this time. Well, at least that's what I thought. I
had to build an RIS type robot for a demo the other day and I kept finding
myself wanting to use studless parts because it just seemed right. I was very
surprised. Perhaps this studless stuff grows on you without you even noticing
it. Very insidious if you ask me!

That's the part I guess I haven't resolved for myself:

Is the studless construction "paradigm" harder for us because it:

a) is different from what we know and are used to?
b) is actually intrisically worse than regular traditional Technic Lego
building?

Derek's comment suggests that the kids in our FLL region have already learned
how to play with Lego, so that'd be theory a), they already know how to build
regular Lego and there might be some kids who haven't played with Lego ever and
would find studless building just as easy as regular building.

I don't know what evidence of that supports theory b) yet.   But I would find it sad the integrity of the product was eroded in order to save production costs from using studless beams, whether that integrity was strength, ease of construction/learning, or interoperability with the rest of the product family.

That said, studless is certainly more flexible in positioning and angles, makes
for much denser and intricate models.

Calum