 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 16014
Re: I should update my knowledge base sometime...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2006 20:39:56 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, C. L. GunningCook wrote:

Okay, upon checking today... it seems to be up and working again, but I am not
sure why you moved... was running your own server taking to much time??? Because
for me, your pages loaded quicker when you were on your own server.  Glad to see
Sandy/Sparky's Place up and running again, tho.

Well, that's the A in ADSL...it's asymmetric.  The direction going to the
computer is faster than the direction leaving, which is coincidentally the
opposite of how a server would work.

When you are surfing at home, you usually ask for a page (away from computer
towards the server) and you get a big response (all the data being sent back in
towards your computer).

But Dave's running a server, so his path away from his house would be ideally
bigger than than the path towards his house, as he's receiving small requests
and sending out big responses.

But most consumer access is set up that way, so cable might not be any better.
IIRC my cable is asymmetric too. :(  You usually pay quite a bit more for
symmetric access for business users.

Calum