 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 16002
Re: I should update my knowledge base sometime...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 18:59:36 GMT

So just got off the tephelone with Bell Sympatico.  Turns out that after all the
access manager and PPpoE crap, that your PC does have a 'true' IP addy (at
least, that's what the 3 techie guys said to me on the phone)

So I signed up.  Going to move Sparky's and Sandy's Space to the Sympatico DSL.

So the next question will be--the cable package gave me two IP addy's--i used 1
for the web server and one to share with the other PC's in the house using my
trusted DLink wireless....

So now, can I get the webserver working whilst conencted to the DLink?  Calum
mentioned that it should be possible...

Anyway, will putter around with it when I get the ADSL in the house.

So...here's the deal.  Put your DSL router and attach the WAN port to the DSL
modem.  It will initiate the PPPoE connection with Sympatico and get an external
IP address.

Your other machines around the house will use DHCP assigned internal IP's from a
local pool (eg, 10.x, 192.168.x).  The router should be able to set up network
address translation from those internal addresses to the external address for
web surfing, SMTP and POP etc.

Finally, hard set the web server to a local address like 192.168.1.300.  Run
port forwarding on the router to take port 80 on the external public IP address
and send it over to .300.  Alternatively, if your router has the feature, create
a DMZ and put the web server in it.

To make your DNS name stick, you'll have to figure out how to get one of those
dynamic DNS services map your DNS name to dynamic external IP address assigned
by Bell.  Some of the routers (including my Linksys WRT54G) automagically can
send their current IP address assigned over PPPoE and pass it to DynDNS or
similar service.

Calum