 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14593
Re: rtl 19 'Sumo on a stick' pictures
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 00:40:22 GMT

Well, there's a balance here.  If we say, you have to use a motor, it rules out a number of interesting little "shrapnel-bots" which use a strategy that is simply to obstruct.   If you say, have a certain size, then you rule out other methods, like perhaps hanging a counterweight over the other end (which was an idea I dropped around Wednesday night.

So, yeah... we did it without too many restrictions and we had some interesting
things. I wasn't smart enough to come up with a simple non-powered ring
mechanism that latches on to the middle bolt and mucks things up for big strong
bots, so that was an interesting solution to the problem. So what I'm saying is
let's try it again WITH some restrictions or requirements. Otherwise, Jeff
putting a small little piece on one end if the wood and calling it a robot is
totally valid... but NO! That's not in "the spirit of the competition!"

Otherwise, again, it's becoming a "look at me! I found a loophole in the rules!"
competition.
-Greg