 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14000
13999  |  14001
Subject:
Help with redesigning a Boat Lock
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2005 19:46:36 GMT

For our current train layout I have attempted to create a working lift lock.

Attempt 1:

The lift lock project started about a year ago. My first designs used a scissor
type construction ( XXXXX ) To try to raise the water, but there was not
sufficient room under the water level to incorporate more then 1 or 2 scissors.
Also the initial part of the Lift required two much torque to start compressing
the scissors. We attempted to add pnumatics to help the scissor out but did not
help much.

Attempt 2:

This attempt Used mutiple worm gears line up on an axle. One motor turned the
axles and A Base plate with 2 8 tooth gears locked together per side ('teeth')
attached would raise up as the axles turned. Prototype pictured below.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jvwinden/Technic/Lock/dscn3509.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jvwinden/Technic/Lock/dscn3510.jpg

After some refinement this design seemed to work.

Attempt 3:

Was a redesign or Attempt 2. We added two motors one to drive the front two
columns and one to drive the rear columns The motors has an 8 thooth gear,
connected to a 24 tooth gear, the changes in direction using new 16 tooth bevel
gears and connected to the columns using the slim 20 tooth bevel gear. The
Columns use 11 Worm gears each starting 1 stud into a 12 long axle, and ending
one stud beyond a 10 long axle, Which is then connected to a axle pin, which is
then set into a Technic plate and mounted into the wall..

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jvwinden/Technic/Lock/lift.gif

Imbeded into the wall of the lift are 4 touch sensors, two on top, two on
bottom, when the front or the back of the lift hit one of the sensors the
appropate motor stops. When both motors stop. the program waits ro 60 seconds
and then starts in the reverse order.

This seemed to work quite well. At our last show (two weeks ago) the lift ran
for about 1.5 hours and then started to fall apart.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jvwinden/TrainLayouts/TheL/ToyShow0405/dscn4785.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jvwinden/TrainLayouts/TheL/ToyShow0405/dscn4786.jpg

Slowly after time the baseplate that supported the 'teeth' that locked into the
worm gears, began to tip to one side and the front and back. because the sensors
were only on one side, the motor would continue to run and try to raise the
other front or rear side. this caused two things to happen.. The worm gears
started moving upward, since they could not spin any further, at the same time
some of the 'teeth' came loose, and the Lift stoped lifting. Since this
mechanism is in the middle of our layout it was inoperable for the rest of the
show :(

So is there a beter way to build a contraption that can lift a baseplate with a
boat on it approximatly 20 bricks high. (17 actually)

Limitations
The contraption fits on 3 16 x 24 base plates attached on the long edges meaning
it is 24 x 48 studs in size.

The 'water' can only be 2 2/3 bricks above the baseplate
There is room outside the 24x48 stud Lift for the Motors and RCX.

Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated, As I would love to have this
opperational for the Large NMRA Lego show in 'WKRP' ;)

Jeff VW