 Technic / 14128
Re: Help with redesigning a Boat Lock
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2005 20:22:11 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Jeff Van Winden wrote:
For our current train layout I have attempted to create a working lift lock. • ...
The lift lock project started about a year ago. My first designs used a scissor • ...

This attempt Used mutiple worm gears line up on an axle. One motor turned the

Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated, As I would love to have this
opperational for the Large NMRA Lego show in 'WKRP' ;)

Rosco beat me to it...  anyway...

What about using string?  With good rollers, the string should not wear out, at
least not in one weekend.

If the platform & boat are somewhat balanced, you could get away with one
connection on each side.  (total 2)  The platform could have vertical beams that
ride in groves in the lock, to keep it level.  Then, you can use one motor for
each side, with touch sensors at top & bottom (like you have now)

Actually, you don't really need sensors at the bottom, assuming the lock doesn't
actually open at the bottom.  Just run it down for a length of time, then run it
up until the sensors are pressed...

Steve