 Technic / 14134
Re: Help with redesigning a Boat Lock
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2005 00:22:10 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Jeff Van Winden wrote:
For our current train layout I have attempted to create a working lift lock.

(snip)

First off I think it should be called a boat lift rather than a lock, because in
a lock only the water moves.

I suppose you already considered vertical racks at the 4 corners of the "water"
that are embedded in the lock walls (the rack, visible, might look like a ladder

I've read the other posts in this thread and I like both the string and the rack
idea's. Racks are commonplace on locks because they're used to open the sluice
gates.

No one's mentioned this but have you thought of having two lifts? The one going
up would balance out the one coming down. A new boat lift has been built here in
the uk, and because the boats displace their exact weight in water the two
pontooons always weigh exactly the same, therefore the energy needed to move
hundres of tonnes of water is only the same amount as is needed to boil a few
kettles of water.

Alternatatively the current mechanism could be retained, but swap the touch
sensors for rotation sensors. You would also need a slipping mechanism between
the motor and the worm & sensor. When the rack/worm/whatever reaches the end of
travel the motor slips and the rotation sensor stops rotating. A timeout in the
RCX code catches the fact that the motor is going but the mechanism isn't. You
then just stop the motor(s).

Steve