 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 13314
Re: rtlToronto/Ropeway1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2005 22:59:00 GMT

I think whoever isn't building has the task to bring a shop vac.

:)

Hey, I like that one!  That sounds pretty good, pulling up rice.  Now, what
about string though?  What string is allowed?  And how do we specify the rope
across the room, how high is it?  How much does it dip?  Or not at all?

Well, a couple of things have to be decided:

-Do we have a standard rope? (difficult to organize)
-Do we allow each entrant to bring and string their own rope? (time consuming at
game day)

You're right on consideration for sag.  Unless each contestant makes their robot
fairly intelligent with regard to how far down to go before capturing some rice
(hard) I don't know how we could take that into account.  I picture everyone
frantically recoding rotation sensor counts on game day based on distances.

This is also one of those contests that would be very difficult to practice for
at home.  Rope climbing was like that, to some extent (I hung a 1 m section of
rope dangling across my Swiffer in my tiny kitchen).

No, I mean having ropes from four corners of the room meeting in a knot in the
center.  You start on rope end +X pick up something at XY (the knot in the
center) and have to drive to end -Y or +Y or -X depending its colour for
example.  Requires you to traverse the knot.  Maybe under the knot would be a
stack of plates or something easy to grab.

Oh, you have fun with that.  :)

    Iain