 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 13306
Re: 32 long (again)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2005 20:56:33 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry wrote:

I'm still forming around in my head the idea of something with rope.  Not rope
climbing, but something lateral.  Rope transversing/pickup.  Flycams.
Delta-by-rope.  Something where you'd have this big long span of rope with the
robots moving along them, doing some kind of task on the ground like moving
pucks around or dropping rings on poles.

I like that idea.  Dropping or picking things up.  Or both.

(Can you tell I like lifts? :)  http://www.skilifts.org )

Simulating puting out a "forest fire" by measuring the amount of rice a robot
can drop by "flying" (along the rope) over a certain area in a short period of
time? (Mess factor:  5)

Now THAT I'd like to do, but I wouldn't know how to score it or how to clean it
up.  Maybe lay a cookie tray in the center of the room, and you count by weight
how much rice got dropped on the cookie tray fire?

Some ideas:

a) A rope across the room with several objects on the floor in the center.  Goal
is to remove as many of them as possible to end goals on either side.

b) A circle in the center of the room or bullseye, goal is to drop as many of
something into that.

c) Ropes on X and Y axes, tied in the middle.  Each object's colour requires
going to either axes.

Well, that's not really a competition, more of a very impressive and fun
demonstration/come-and-watch kinda thing.  Falls into the same catagory as
vending machines/assembly, which I think everyone deemed as "Boring" or "Iain is
stupid and dapper."  :)

Well, that's why I figure if the "Balla's" want to fondle balls in the GTA, they
should do it for Hobby Show in November.  Or maybe bring something to BrickFest.
I mean, Chris, you're going to BrickFest, right?

Calum