 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12159
Re: iMac
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 16:33:04 GMT

<snip>

From my perspective, this is all I hope for:  If you going to support
Mac or any other platform have a good reason for it.  But conversely if
your not going to support a platform also have a good reason for it.

Derek

Our very own o.t-d :)

So I work for a major school bus transporation company as a 'tech support' guy.

And, having 500+ systems in the field, occasionally we will get the odd
"Imminent Hard Drive Failure", which should mean to anyone who has a basic
concept of the english language that the hard drive is about to fail.

So most of my users don't grasp that, even after repeated training sessions
and/or e-mails, and will continue to use their ssytems until they see a
"Non-System Disk" weeor on tehir screen  when they turn on their system in the
morning, at which time they call me.

Now when a system gets this far along that the hard drive can't even be accessed
anymore, I ask for the system to be shipped to me ("just the 'box'--no power
cables, keyboards, mouses, monitors--just the actual system" and I will
sometimes get the monitor, or the keyboard, or the mouse, instead of the system,
but that's another tangent)

Compaq has implemented this wonderful feature in the BIOS--scan the HD for
faults.  If the HD is faulty, it returns a code for the Compaq tekkies.  Since
most of this is warranty work anyway, I call up Compaq--

"Hello. This is Compaq Support, may I help you"

"This is Dave speaking--I have an EVO 510 with a bad Hard Drive.  I ran the Hard
Drive scan in the BIOS and this is the code..."

"Which operating system does the system have on it?"

"The hard drive's dead--here's your code."

"I need to know the OS."

K, this is where I have the issue--over the past 5 years I've called Compaq
about 200 times due to bad hard drives--the hard drive is dead--what does it
matter what the OS was?  Now it's a game to me to see how much they're paying
attention--

"PC DOS 1.0"

or my favourite

"OS2 Warp"

I tried Windows 2.0 once but they called me on it.  They haven't called me on
DOS 5.0 or the other two mentioned above, but only time will tell.

Dave K