 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 11876
Re: Can you believe...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 21:31:31 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, C. L. GunningCook wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

Well, at the sumo event on Saturday, I had an extra robot, and she was just
sitting there, waiting for something to happen, so I took the opportunity to
give her a shot at running a robot.

With much hesitation and earth shattering fear, I may add.

Come, now.  It's just LEGO.  If it had gone flying off the table, crashing into
many little pieces, I would have just put it back together.  It wouldn't be the
first time.

As it turns out, I think the robot performed beyond it's potential, thanks to
her masterful ability to aim the robot and push the run button.

Well when you have the "MASTERS" creation in your hands something else takes
over.  I have never turn on an on button with so much care in my entire life.
The awesome responsibility was almost overwhelming. Then something magic
happened, I felt one with creation.

I suspect that "magic" stems from your own relationship with LEGO.  Brickfest
gave us all a chance to venture out of our own little rooms and see what other
people have done, and say, "I could never do that."  Then, someone comes into
our room, and says the same thing...

In fact, I am suffering deep emotional
separation anxiety being away from my darling "CHIP".

Turns out, I almost shared that separation anxiety.  Seems "CHIP" was found
wandering down the hall in the hand of a kid on Sunday.  :O  Thanks John...

and btw, when I'm panicking just
before the first Robotic contest I enter... ask yourself (when the emails of
millions of questions start pouring in from me).... just who is to blame????  I
once was happy with stagnant motionless dormant MOCs, now the urge to get them
moving is darn near irresistible.

That's good to hear.

I feel the pull to the darn side.

I think this is a Freudian typo.  As you may discover, it's hard to get a pair
of matched motors.  You may, in fact, see your robot "pull to the #%?! DARN
SIDE"  :)

Actually, Calum was right.  This was all part of my plan to win.  It's my
patented "Let's Enter Robots Under Other People's Names" strategy.

But, Janey already figured it out.  That became clear when she pointed to the
robot in my hand, and asked "Why didn't you let me run THAT robot???"  :)

Janey, if you do actually decide to build a robot, I'd be happy to help you.
Now may be a good time, because rtl's next event is the easiest competition of
all time.  It's drag racing.  You just need a robot that can drive straight
forward for like 15 feet.

Steve