 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 11445
Re: Metroliner (10001)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2004 12:44:45 GMT

NO, the metroliner is a ~BAD~ set.

STAY AWAY from all train stuff like the plague!!!!

<spipped - a bunch of Chris' train envy coming to the fore...>

Rob, I think you get the idea.  trains is a lego dead end.

if you've got this $$ burning a whole in your pocket, buy more mindstorms.
get motors, get RCXen, get beams, and gears.

find me a train head that can deny the infinite flexibility of a good RIS
kit.  make a robot, (which can become and DO anything(1))  make a vehicle,
make your OWN train if that's what you want.  but you'd be hard pressed to
make a connect four robot with JUST a train set.

Chris - I'd love to do more with robotics...but because of my complete lack of
imagination and one RIS kit, I feel limited in what I can build...

I can make wheeled/tracked/legged devices that roll/crawl/walk around and around
and that’s all they do.  Ok, and go over things, and under things...but nothing
else :)  I can even make them follow a line...or a light...kind of like a train
follows a track...

I'd like that hard earned money to burn a hole in my pocket...but it seems I
can't buy any robotics stuff retail anymore...and never, ever, ever does it
appear to come on sale :(

As an example...right now on Brick Link....

Touch sensors run ~10CDN each used.
Rotation sensors run ~35CDN each used.
Light Sensors are ~23CDN each used.
RCX........$140CDN!
Even a simple thing like a polarity switch runs ~15CDN, assuming they can be
found...
And connecting wires run ~10CDN each!
Then add on international shipping....from multiple stores...Gack!

Even electric plate is becoming rarer...which reduces my likelihood of making
home brew sensors (assuming I want to risk my one and only RCX on that kind of
experiment)...

No wonder they never come on sale...I could pick one up at full retail if I
could find it (300 CDN) and part it out, ending up with money in my pocket!

And forget about finding one of the expansion kits....

About the only thing currently and readily available are motors...and
gears...and studless Technic (*which I just can't get the hang of building my
own stuff with*)

You might even say that with demand so exceeding supply, Lego robotics is both
an expensive hobby and a relatively exclusive hobby...
...but trains......with supply so exceeding demand a person can get started
(relatively) cheaply! :)

P.S. I'd like to see you make a connect 4 robot with 1 RCX, 2 touch sensors, a
light sensor and three motors...plus all the technic beams, gears, etc. as
needed...

-Rob.