 Organizations / Australia / 182
Re: When rare pieces become common!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.au
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 17:43:15 GMT

In lugnet.org.au, Jane McDermott writes:
I know what you mean.  There is a guy on ebay named Kevin Wilson, who looks
like a great international trader, with some really good parts, but always in
huge lots - 50 cups, 20 spanners, you know the kind of thing.  I'd love to bid
on something of his, but I can never quite quantify spending the amount to get
that many bits I don't need.  (Except that lot of lion's heads... now that

Yes, he's great. I've bought from him multiple times (and now he offers
discounts for repeat customers, whohoo!). It is funny to hear him called 'a
guy on eBay' though, since he's a fairly active on Lugnet! Anyway, I know what
you mean; several times I've been outbid because I only needed say 2 parts
from an auction where he's listed 30 of (or in some cases, 300) said part. But
in all fairness we have to keep in mind that it would be painfully inefficient
if he were to post auctions 2 bricks at a time (not to mention costly; don't
forget eBay's listing fee per auction).

would have been good.)  It's either feast or famine on the parts auctions!  If
only multiple bidders could get organised and do a split!

True. The solution? Either wait till it's a part you know you'll eventually
use up; buy a larger lot than you need and resell the leftovers yourself
(which is a lot of hassle); or if you're outbid, then see if the winner has a
good track record. If so, offer to buy the parts you need from the winner of
the auction. Or, conversely you could always buy a larger lot than you need,
and instead of eBaying the rest, trade it.

Hope this helps