 Organizations / Australia / 1451
Re: Trains Trains and Train Shows.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.au
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 05:37:36 GMT

In lugnet.org.au, James Howse writes:
In lugnet.org.au, Santosh Bhat writes:
I'd be happy to be involved however I can be. I do have a fair bit of track
The only hitch is that there's no guarantee that I myself can physically be
there. which means that unless the show happens to be on a weekend when I may >be back home, I wont be able to attend.

That'd be a pity. It will be a long w'end so if you are down there you might
still be able to catch a MUGlift (if any decide to visit)
That said my track or trains will be there for you to use if/when required.

Thanks! It might be easiest to make sure all the track comes from one source.

Well that's if I have enough of whats required. I need to somehow label
which sections are mine, but I need to do that anyhow for future meets, not
specifically for any display.

Between Myself, Eli and Pete W. I believe there's enough track about, to not
only setup a sizeable network, but to also then split it into four seperate
bodies, cause unkown amount of delays to services, hire more managers to try
to reduce the problems, and then ultimately say "the delays are caused by
acts of god [1]".

Err. that is assuming that they are interested in it too. Though im guessing
by the physical size limit, we should have plenty already.

But bear in mind that being a model train show, we will need it to be fairly
"trainy" and not a showcase of a Lego moon landing only (hmm background
scenery idea?).

Yes, the ideas I'm having are more eggs than omlettes, that is, small but
perfectly formed rather than all over the place. It is AMRA-NSW's premier
showcase so lots of decorum, seriousness and high modeling standards are
required. That said the guy I just spoke to on the phone recognised that
there are a lot of children through and that a Lego layout would be an
interesting addition to the line up. There is more information being sent by
mail to me, I'll update here when it arrives.

We'd also need to consider things such as tables,

In progress.

Ok, shall wait.

backdrops (if any), barriers to stop prying hands,
Any suggestions?

Steal some rope and poles from the nearest movie theatre? I'm not sure to be
honest what can be done. Being Lego I'm guessing that any kids there are
more likely to want to make it an interactive display than the other model
railways.

I've seen some places go as simple as use chairs with their backs to the
display acting as a barrier, though this could be seen as an invitation to
climb up and reach over the chair.

We'll wait for more ideas.

and what about a kids loop and play area like so many of our International >North American LTC friends do.

I'm thinking not, at least not this time around and definetly not until LA
comes through and offers to supply bricks and track for this (I wouldn't ask
anyone to put thier own collection out...)

Ok, we're only beginning here anyhow. Lets get soem support then be
supportive back.

The INALTC's have set really high benchmarks, and sure we can't match that >YET, but this could be the first step.

I have every confidence we can pull off a spectacular show, smaller perhaps
than most 'Merrykin layouts but just as detailed.

Popular defintiely, and of course there'll be the freak factor appeal to the
model railroad enthusiasts. And lets not mention the purists..

James, will you be taking care of Administrative details through the show
organisers?

Yep, I've rung and info is being sent. I'm happy to organise whatever

Will they allow such a display?

Probably Yes.

How much money is involved to display? <is there a payment to display?
How much space could we expect?
Are they able to supply anything to us?

To be answered.

To get the ball rolling in terms of the display - predominantly 9V or a mix
of 9/12V? Remember that 9V has some cool remote control functions.
Will we be considering setting up a goods yard?
Should we have one main station? or perhaps a few here and there?

I'm thinking 9v, it runs smoother. The setup probably won't be so large that
reaching to switch points will be untidy.
Any suggested layouts (TD plans) will be gratefully accepted, a suggested
limit of 4x3metres.

WHOOPS, I had of course meant that 12V has more remote functions..
We'll see how it goes, I think it'd be nice to have some 12V just to show
the "older goodies" if not anything else.

Santosh

James (who is too excited to think of a tagline...er. oops?)