 Off-Topic / Geek / 574
Re: Another MCSE test down!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 22:51:06 GMT

Sproaticus <jsproat@io.com> wrote:
Mike Stanley wrote:
Wondering if I should bother with A+?  I think I can get UTK to
spring for the test, and I'm certain I could pass it (based on two
people I know who have passed it with little or no studying) but
that begs the question - what good is a certification someone can
pass just because he's been a computer geek since he was 12?  At
least with the MCSE I feel I've had to learn quite a bit and do the
work for a while before acing the exams...

Buegs the question:  Are you getting certified for employment purposes, or
just for self-inflicted brownie points?

Employment purposes.

I do a great job at whatever I put my mind to, and believe me, if I
just wanted to pat myself on the back for exceeding at something I
could come up with something a LOT more fun to do than any
computer-related certification.

The A+ would probably be very superficial as far as my actual
employment goals - I've done the hardware jockey route, won't be
doing it again.  Then again, I dunno.  I know it is possible to
become MCSE without really working with the stuff because I know
someone who is working towards his who had to ask me how to make a
boot floppy and how to use fdisk.  Maybe the A+ would somehow
indicate that I'm not just a booksmart neuvo-geek, but an old school
hardware junky too.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/