 Off-Topic / Geek / 573
Re: Perl question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 22:50:15 GMT

David Eaton wrote:
Any nice easy way to make a string all lower case? ("nice easy way" being
defined as being less than 5 lines...)I seem to remember being able to use
'pack' to do that in some fashion or another... and of course I foolishly
tried: "$string =~ s/[A-Z]/[a-z]/g;" but of course that was just a desperate
hope that it might be easy... any suggestions?

Try this:

$string = lc $string;

Alternatively, I think this will work also:

$string =~ tr/[A-Z]/[a-z]/;

But if you *REALLY* want to make it look impressive (to a 1st-year programmer
anyway :-), you could do:

@upchars = qw( A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z );
@lowchars = qw( a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z );
for( $c = 0; $c < scalar @upchars; $c++ ) {
  $uptolow{$upchars[$c]} = $lowchars[$c];
}

#...more code...

$string = join( "", map( { $uptolow{$_} || $_ } split( //, $string ) ) );

Dang, but I *LOVE* TMTOWTDI!  :-P

Cheers,
- jsproat

"I've spent the past few years building up an immunity to bullets."
- Angus McGuire