 Off-Topic / Geek / 576
Re: Another MCSE test down!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 22:58:11 GMT

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Mike Stanley writes:
[...]  what good is a certification someone can
pass just because he's been a computer geek since he was 12?  [...]

What good is any certification program which exists that its proponents may
suck even still more money out of the industry?

Dunno - is that a rhetorical question?

I'm not sucking much money at all out of the industry right now,
although I hope to be sucking a lot more (DO NOT quote that out of
context John Neal) out of it within the next 6 months.

Then again, the more tests I pass, the more I realize that I *know*
how to do this work.  These certifications seem more and more like
security blankets for employers.  I'm no more capable of handling
enterprise level NT networks now than I was yesterday, but at my
next job interview I'll probably appear so.

I know Unix dudes making serious dough who don't have a single
certification at all.  They just know what they're doing.  Maybe
it's easier to differentiate between Unix dudes who do and do not
know what they're doing than it is Windows dudes.

And "suck even still more money" makes it sound like it's taking
money away from someone else, or that the salaries paid to IT
professionals isn't deserved.  I'm sure that in the IT industry, as
in any industry, you have some people who are overpayed - but
doesn't that tend to take care of itself in a free market?  It
doesn't at a place like UTK, where people with almost no knowledge,
no work ethic, and poor attitudes can come in at noon and leave at 4
and receive a full day's pay, but then again, UTK is not a free
market.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/