 Off-Topic / Geek / 567
  Another MCSE test down!

Well, I'm sure the Microsoft-bashers won't care, but I aced the Server in the Enterprise exam today. That gives me another MCP cert. I'll ace Workstation on Friday then move on to TCP/IP, Proxy, and Net Essentials. Probably go ahead and knock out (...) (25 years ago, 4-Oct-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Another MCSE test down!

(...) Buegs the question: Are you getting certified for employment purposes, or just for self-inflicted brownie points? Cheers, - jsproat (25 years ago, 4-Oct-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Another MCSE test down!

(...) A+ is the certification equivalent of an entry level position. It's easy to pass if you know much of anything about basic PC/printer hardware and whatever the current Microsoft O/S is. (win3.1 when I took it) If you have any certifications (...) (25 years ago, 4-Oct-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Another MCSE test down!

(...) What good is any certification program which exists that its proponents may suck even still more money out of the industry? --Todd (25 years ago, 4-Oct-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Another MCSE test down!

A+ is worth it only if your employer pays for it. Doesn't get you anything as far as hiring purposes. If you've used computers since you were a child, you should pass this in 5 minutes. It's an easy test. When I hired a lot a year or so ago I was (...) (25 years ago, 4-Oct-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Another MCSE test down!

(...) Employment purposes. I do a great job at whatever I put my mind to, and believe me, if I just wanted to pat myself on the back for exceeding at something I could come up with something a LOT more fun to do than any computer-related (...) (25 years ago, 4-Oct-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Another MCSE test down!

(...) Yeah, that's how I'm leaning. I've done the entry-level jobs that would probably look for A+. Not doing those now, not looking to do them in the future. (...) I hear you. Now I just need to get UTK to spring for Cisco training... (25 years ago, 4-Oct-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Another MCSE test down!

(...) Dunno - is that a rhetorical question? I'm not sucking much money at all out of the industry right now, although I hope to be sucking a lot more (DO NOT quote that out of context John Neal) out of it within the next 6 months. Then again, the (...) (25 years ago, 4-Oct-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Another MCSE test down!

(...) Yep, that's the impression I got. The 2 people I know who passed it probably know half what I know and they thought it was cake. (...) Thanks! I've only been playing with NT since a year or so after 4.0 came out, and only been working with it (...) (25 years ago, 4-Oct-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Another MCSE test down!

(...) I meant that M$[1] was the one continuing to suck the money out of the industry by pushing certification stuff on people and companies. --Todd [1] I have to write "M$" for Microsoft, to avoid confusiong with MS for Mike Stanley :-) (25 years ago, 4-Oct-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Another MCSE test down!

(...) Oh, no argument there. MS's cert stuff is certainly a cash cow for them, and so pitifully unprofessional compared to other companies' like Novell's. NT 4 came out when - 1996? The training materials I used this year contain errors, typos, and (...) (25 years ago, 4-Oct-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Another MCSE test down!

(...) So, how far are you now? I've had a four book set of the core exams in my collection for a while now, but the whole allergy-to-printing-ink thing sorta put a big damper on that. Here's to hoping that air-tight forced-air-circulation box I'm (...) (25 years ago, 10-Nov-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Another MCSE test down!

(...) 3 up, 3 down. Had a work crisis interfere with taking Net Essentials over the last week - going to try to take it next week. So far I've passed Sever, Enterprise, Workstation. Scores don't matter, but I was close to perfect on all of them. (...) (25 years ago, 10-Nov-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Another MCSE test down!

(...) You are on the downhill slide now! TCP/IP is a good workout, its the only test that I was anywhere close to using up all of my time on. Mostly due to rechecking my math on subnet addressing. Net essentials and IIS are pretty much slam dunks. (...) (25 years ago, 10-Nov-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Another MCSE test down!

(...) When Microsoft ends. I'm not sure whether I want that to be soon or in a decade or two... MS has driven hardware development _hard_ over the past 5 years. They've also made computers from a business tool to a home appliance [faster than it (...) (25 years ago, 10-Nov-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Another MCSE test down!

(...) Yeah, I think I took all of 20 minutes for the Workstation test. And if I hadn't forced myself to reread each question twice with my hands off the mouse I probably could have finished it in 10. I'll do TCP/IP after Net Ess, then Proxy to (...) (25 years ago, 10-Nov-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)