 Off-Topic / Geek / 4790
Re: On the recursive subdivision of two-dimensional food items
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:49:02 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Stephen F. Roberts wrote:
On 02:13 16-08-04, Todd Lehman wrote
Last night at IHOP, after copious amounts of beer at Rocklands, a few of
us were
talking about how we cut our food up into differently-sized portions
during the
eating process, and I realized that an algorithm exists for maximizing the
total
enjoyment of a given serving of food...
<MUCH GEEKAGE SNIPPED>

glasses because subdividing a body of liquid is not only time consuming
but messy.  This algorithm lends itself well to two-dimensional food items
cut with the side of a fork because you are making cuts there anyway.

Me thinks someone was over thinking this a bit too much....

excellent geek analysis...
Note that this algorithm doesn't apply well to liquids in bottles or

The easiest way to divide up a bottle of liquid would be to use the spirit
measure, though this is not recursive:

Repeat
  Attach measure to bottle
  Repeat
    pour drink
    drink
  Until bottle empty
  Seek another bottle
Until too drunk to lift glass

not that I have experience of this, you understand!

If you use triangular toast and cut into four triangles, omitting the middle one
from the next round of cutting, you might end up with something similar to
Sierpinsky's gasket, quite a pretty fractal!

Mark