 Off-Topic / Geek / 4788
Re: On the recursive subdivision of two-dimensional food items
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 17:56:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, C. L. GunningCook wrote:
You know, I think I may take this as proof that I am missing the GEEK
gene, as I heard the discussion first hand, and now I'm reading it
again..... and STILL the *ONLY* part I understand is "copious amount of
liquor."

Heh heh, ok, lemme see if I can give it a non-geeky explanation...

Instead of eating your french toast by carving out roughly equal-sized
small pieces one at a time, do this:  Cut the toast in half and consider
each half a new piece of toast.  For each of those halves, cut those in
half and consider those quarters to be new pieces of toast.  And for each
of those quarters, cut those in half and consider each of those eighths
to be new pieces of toast.  And so on and so on, down to really tiny pieces
until they're little bite-sized pieces.

With me so far?  OK, but here's the twise:  don't do all the cutting all
at once.  Instead, only make a cut when it's absolutely necessary -- either
to eat a piece immediately or to cut a piece in half for further cutting.

After four cuts, you'll have:

   one 1/2 piece
   one 1/4 piece
   one 1/8 piece
   two 1/16 pieces

The 1/16 pieces are probably small enough to eat, so eat those.  Then cut
the 1/8 piece into two 1/16 pieces and eat those.  Then you "pop stack"
back to the 1/4 piece and find that it's too big to eat, so you cut that
into two 1/8 pieces and work on those.  Only don't cut both of the 1/8
pieces into 1/16 pieces at the same time -- cut the first one, eat both
of the 1/16's, and the work on the second one.  Then you "pop stack" back
to the 1/2 piece, and subdivide that one into two 1/4's, etc.

Basically this is an example of recursion.

--Todd