 Off-Topic / Geek / 4588
Re: We're here to go
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:35:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Dan Boger wrote:
On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 04:28:44AM +0000, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Um, no I don't. And stop resetting the FUT back to geek.

Why?  I think this discussion is very appropriate to .geek, except for
the parts where you are starting a debate.  Any reason we can't talk
about NASA here?

"lugnet.off-topic.geek (group):
      Geeking and geek toys (computing, games, peripherals, hacking,
      science, etc.): discussions of a generally (but not necessarily
      always) positive and serious or helpful nature."

You may not agree, but it seems pretty clear cut to me. Now, not every point of
disagreement is necessarily debate fodder... if you were to focus on the merits
of Hohman transfer orbits versus continuous boost, then sure, that'd be .geek.
But that's not the case here.

The question asked is framed in an economic context, not purely a technical one.
As soon as someone says "wouldn't X be monstrously expensive", that, in my view,
moves the topic right out of .geek and into .debate

If I read the original post correctly, the question was of fuel efficiency and
the physical implications of a Moon-based versus an Earth-based launch toward
Mars and beyond.  Naturally this entails the cost of development, because fuel
costs money, but the primary question is about physics (i.e., geeking).

My subsequent question about the monstrous expense of building on the Moon is
likewise largely grounded in the physical realities of such a construction
project.  Building off-world in that fashion *would* be very expensive, whether
Burt Rutan is at the helm or not.  I didn't inject any commentary on NASA (which
was instead supplied by a subsequent poster), so I accept no blame for steering
the discussion to .debate.  Even my comment about Dubya's Brave New Vision was,
I thought, a fairly obvious jape, and it was certainly tangential to the topic
of my question.

Regarding "bootstrap," I assert that linguistic quibbles are appropriate to
O-T.geek even if they're expressed not in the charter.  I would as quickly take
issue with "proactive," "outside-the-box-thinking," "paradigm," and other
overused, jargonized buzz-words that pollute modern discourse.  There's nothing
inherently wrong in the word, but its overuse is annoying to those geeks
interested in such matters.

If, however, you think that discussions of linguistic foibles are better suited
to .debate than to .geek, then I'll be happy to pursue the topic in that forum.

     Dave!