 Off-Topic / Geek / 4591
Re: We're here to go
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 19:28:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

My subsequent question about the monstrous expense of building on the Moon is
likewise largely grounded in the physical realities of such a construction
project.  Building off-world in that fashion *would* be very expensive, whether
Burt Rutan is at the helm or not.

Well, there's expensive and there's *VERY expensive*, in terms of dollars per
unit of work on task. Asserting that NASA falls into the latter camp (as I do)
is debate fodder, so if you want to stay out of .debate, as you seem to, we
won't get into that part of it, much.

I don't have any problem with pursuing that end of the discussion, but I wasn't
trying to kick of a debate with my original question.  If it winds up there,
though, I say groovy!  I enjoyed that previous debate re: cost-value of space
exploration, and I'm willing to examine it again.

But in the long term, anything boosted out of the earth's atmosphere complicated
gravity well is the thing thats' "horrifically expensive" on a per pound basis,
no matter what you do to reduce costs, compared to boosting things you obtained
locally from a smaller well with no atmosphere to complicate matters.

Now that's what interests me.  I suppose the most fuel-efficient way to do it,
hypothetically, would be to have some kind of smallish and self-contained
apparatus that could land on the Moon and lay the groundwork for a base, or
maybe a series of basic pre-fab modules (again, 48x48?) that would be waiting
for astronauts to inhabit them.  I imagine there's a critical mass, so to speak,
at which point the lunar base would become self-sufficient and thereafter able
to undertake permanent industrial operation off-Earth.

I'll reassert without proof my assertion that given to the right person(2) with
the right incentives, 12B is plenty of seed money to get a moonbase and a
permanent manned presence on both the Moon and Mars.

Out of curiosity, would the 12B figure include the terrestrial launch vehicle,
or just the construction of the base?
1 - while I share your distaste for jargon laden prose, I submit that bootstrap
is precisely the right word to use here, and my only regret is that it's been
overused elsewhere/elsewhence, not that I used it here.

Maybe I've just become hypersensitized to it.

Dave!