 Off-Topic / Geek / 4585
Re: We're here to go
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 17:17:56 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Dan Boger wrote:
On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 04:28:44AM +0000, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Um, no I don't. And stop resetting the FUT back to geek.

Why?  I think this discussion is very appropriate to .geek, except for
the parts where you are starting a debate.  Any reason we can't talk
about NASA here?

"lugnet.off-topic.geek (group):
      Geeking and geek toys (computing, games, peripherals, hacking,
      science, etc.): discussions of a generally (but not necessarily
      always) positive and serious or helpful nature."

You may not agree, but it seems pretty clear cut to me. Now, not every point of
disagreement is necessarily debate fodder... if you were to focus on the merits
of Hohman transfer orbits versus continuous boost, then sure, that'd be .geek.
But that's not the case here.

The question asked is framed in an economic context, not purely a technical one.
As soon as someone says "wouldn't X be monstrously expensive", that, in my view,
moves the topic right out of .geek and into .debate

On the other hand if all the participants agree with each other, then I suppose
technically it's not a debate.

I'm not seeing that yet though...  Oh!  ... Here's how you can help win your
argument that it's a .geek topic... merely post that you agree with everything I
said so far about the economics and politics of the situation, and then we're
one closer to that point. But something tells me you'll find something to
quibble about, won't you? :-)

Further discussion on whether the topic is suited to debate or geek probably
belongs in admin.general, as it's a charter question.