 Off-Topic / Geek / 3735 (-20)
  Re: Possible virus sending large emails?

(...) What the mail server should be doing isn't informing the "from", since the from header is easily forgable, as anyone who gets spam knows. What they should be doing is sending the warning back to the offending ISP or forwarder. You can verify (...) (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Possible virus sending large emails?

(...) And I just got an e-mail from a mail server informing me that it had removed a virus from an e-mail I "sent"... Great, so how much additional traffic is going to be generated by this virus? I'm all in favor of mail servers stripping viruses (...) (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

Geek warning: the following description is starting to get pretty geeky. I've set follow-ups to lugnet.off-topic.geek, see you there if you want to continue discussion... (...) Ok, First, for those who want to go into more depth of the math, you (...) (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.gaming, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Possible virus sending large emails?

Hi All, YES, I'M THE ONE :( I share a computer with my wife and she opened up an attachment and KABOOM... SORRY!!!! virus name = W32.Sircam.Worm@mm virus ...here's some info on the virus: (URL) cleean up easily for me. BUT please don't open any (...) (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Possible virus sending large emails?

(...) What bugs me the most is that I know that it's sending out forged e-mails apparently from my e-mail address, and there's not a thing I can do about it. (22 years ago, 26-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Possible virus sending large emails?

I also received a copy of the virus from Steve Barile. I have had email contact with him and he knows he is infected. I'm getting rather annoyed myself at the volume of W32.Klez viruses I am getting. I have a remove utility and am aware of the (...) (22 years ago, 25-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Possible virus sending large emails?

(...) I wasn't getting that one, but I have received three notes from Steven Barile infected with W32.SirCam which you can read about at: (URL) copied this note to .trains and .trains.org.scltc because those are the only groups posted to by Mr. (...) (22 years ago, 25-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org.scltc)

  Yay, wireless

I purchased a Linksys wireless router some time ago for the cable modem and the computers upstairs. And now I've got Airport in the Powerbook so I'm online in the Lego room! Now I can process Bricklink baggies without fetching them upstairs. The (...) (22 years ago, 24-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Possible virus sending large emails?

(...) (URL) (the company that produces Norton AntiVirus) has a comprehensive database of all known virii and many virii hoaxes. So do the makers of McAffee's Virusscan and InnoculateIt. James (22 years ago, 23-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Possible virus sending large emails?

(...) I got an email recently .(like in the past hour) It was in my yahoo/Lego account. It was the W32.klez virus. It was saved as an attachment that was labeled ':Re_' or something like that, along with 3 safe (but empty) txt files. The email was (...) (22 years ago, 22-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Anyone know of a free NNTP proxy that will run on NT/2K?

(...) Huh. I guess things change in five years. :) (22 years ago, 21-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Anyone know of a free NNTP proxy that will run on NT/2K?

"Matthew Miller" <mattdm@mattdm.org> wrote in message news:slrna9hens.8v9.....bu.edu... (...) a (...) Maybe (...) Finally got around to checking out DNews and it works, but the smallest license for 1 user is $95. I was hoping for something free as (...) (22 years ago, 20-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: n nested for loops in c++

i've figured it out, ignore that last post. "Aatish Bhatia" <aatish@mac.com> wrote in message news:GwAw7t.Jyw@lugnet.com... (...) (22 years ago, 19-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  n nested for loops in c++

does anyone know how to program and arbid no. of nested loops in c++. the program would take in value of n, then go through n NESTED for loops. It's a lot more challenging than it sounds and I was wondering if anyone could help me out as i'm stuck. (...) (22 years ago, 18-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Possible virus sending large emails?

(...) Yeah, but if it infects other people, it'll still send out messages in your name. (22 years ago, 17-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Possible virus sending large emails?

(...) Unfortunately, if the virus is W32.klez, there's nothing you can do, because it's likely not *your* computer infected. It not only sends messages to random people, but forges a random from header -- very evil stuff. I've been getting a message (...) (22 years ago, 17-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: I think its time for a meeting...

(...) The cluster is really nice stuff -- rackmount 1U dual piii3s, and all sorts of fancy management stuff so you can control them all from the head node. There's really cool free software called xCAT which controls it all -- see (URL). You set up (...) (22 years ago, 17-May-02, to lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Linux Newbie question

(...) Thanks, I will give it a try after Episode II after work. <g> Don't worry, I figure I will have more questions later. :) Jude (22 years ago, 16-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Linux Newbie question

(...) should be pretty simple... lets say your windows is installed on the first partition on your first IDE harddrive (hda1)... so what you need to do is this (as root): mkdir /mnt/windows mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows -o uid=<your (...) (22 years ago, 16-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Linux Newbie question

OK, I understand I have to wrap my head around a different approach to drive and directory structure. But how do I mount a Windows FAT16 partition so I can access it in KDE or Gnome (or even better FAT32). Basically, I want to be able to get to my (...) (22 years ago, 16-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact