 Off-Topic / Geek / 3718
Re: Linux Newbie question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 14:13:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Dan Boger writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Jude Beaudin writes:
OK, I understand I have to wrap my head around a different approach to drive
and directory structure. But how do I mount a Windows FAT16 partition so I
can access it in KDE or Gnome (or even better FAT32).

Basically, I want to be able to get to my windows files without having to
burn them to CD to go between OS's.

I have Win2K, Win98 and Redhat 7.2 installed on my humble Celeron 800 with
512 MB & 60GB.

should be pretty simple... lets say your windows is installed on the first
partition on your first IDE harddrive (hda1)...  so what you need to do is
this (as root):

mkdir /mnt/windows
mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows -o uid=<your uid>,gid=<your gid>

the reason I put the uid and gid options is so that you will be able to
write to that directory as your local user, and not just as root.  This
should work for win98, and win2k unless you use the NTFS filesystem.  if you
don't know your uid and gid, you can find them out using the "id" command...

if you want the filesystem mounted at boot time, just add this line to your
/etc/fstab file:

/dev/hda1   /mnt/win   vfat   uid=<uid>,gid=<gid>   0   0

what else...  if you're using the NTFS filesystem, you should be able to do
the same, except replace vfat with NTFS - but I havn't used an NTFS on linux
in a while, so I'm not sure 100%...

anything else? :)

Dan

Thanks, I will give it a try after Episode II after work. <g>

Don't worry, I figure I will have more questions later. :)

Jude