 Off-Topic / Geek / 3726
Re: Possible virus sending large emails?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 23:48:40 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Matthew Miller writes:
Simon Bennett <simon.bennett@ntlworld.com> wrote:
Yep,  I got back into work today to find that I had apparently sent emails
containing it to Tony Kilaras, Larry P and Scott S (which is very strange as
I don't think I've ever emailed Scott).  I've told my helpdesk and await an
answer.  Sorry to all of you if my IT incompetence contributed to this in
any way.

Unfortunately, if the virus is W32.klez, there's nothing you can do, because
it's likely not *your* computer infected. It not only sends messages to
random people, but forges a random from header -- very evil stuff. I've been
getting a message every few days from someone angry that "I" sent a virus to
them -- even though it's impossible for my Linux box to spread w32.klez.
(And very unlikely that it would spread *anything*).

I got an email recently .(like in the past hour)  It was in my yahoo/Lego
account.  It was the W32.klez virus.  It was saved as an attachment that was
labeled ':Re_'  or something like that, along with 3 safe (but empty) txt
files.  The email was titled 'Www.ozbricks.com' and I've forgotten who sent
it, but the name was not familiar.  It had no text.  I deleted the email.
What exactly is the W32.klez virus?

John Kruer