 Off-Topic / Geek / 3720
Re: Possible virus sending large emails?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 17:00:24 GMT

Simon Bennett <simon.bennett@ntlworld.com> wrote:
Yep,  I got back into work today to find that I had apparently sent emails
containing it to Tony Kilaras, Larry P and Scott S (which is very strange as
I don't think I've ever emailed Scott).  I've told my helpdesk and await an
answer.  Sorry to all of you if my IT incompetence contributed to this in
any way.

Unfortunately, if the virus is W32.klez, there's nothing you can do, because
it's likely not *your* computer infected. It not only sends messages to
random people, but forges a random from header -- very evil stuff. I've been
getting a message every few days from someone angry that "I" sent a virus to
them -- even though it's impossible for my Linux box to spread w32.klez.
(And very unlikely that it would spread *anything*).

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux      ------>                <http://linux.bu.edu/>