 Off-Topic / Geek / 3735
Re: Possible virus sending large emails?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2002 19:05:17 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Frank Filz writes:

I'm all in favor of mail servers stripping viruses from attachments, and
perhaps notifying someone makes sense, but probably in the case of a
virus like this, no notification should be sent.

What the mail server should be doing isn't informing the "from", since the
from header is easily forgable, as anyone who gets spam knows.  What they
should be doing is sending the warning back to the offending ISP or
forwarder.  You can verify who sent it to you, even if you can't identify
the originator.  Then the ISPs and routing services (in an ideal world)
would trace it back to the real originator.

But most ISP's don't care enough about the damage from virii and spam to put
in the protocols to do this.

James