 Off-Topic / Geek / 3097
Re: How to make the ¢ sign (as in "My 2¢")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 00:53:32 GMT

Thanx Matt!
All the info you've provided is great... But I'll just cut and paste
directly from your post.

      My 2¢
                          --==Richard==--

(Richard, who's a bit slow but catches on eventually!)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Matthew Gerber writes:
In lugnet.castle, Richard Noeckel writes:
       That’s my 2 cents,
<Richard, who still can’t get that alt and 155 thing to work!>

alt and 155 - and *that*, I believe, is the geekiest thing I know ;)
2¢  Julie

Richard (and anyone else who has been *aching* to use the ¢ sign:

From: http://members.nbci.com/jmilner/savethecent.html (cute page, go see it)

Mac users have it really easy. In whatever application you are in, type
option-4. Viola! (gotta'  love them Macs!-Matt)

Windows folks... well, you don't have it so lucky. Fortunately, there are a
couple of different ways for you, so pick the one that works the best for you.

* Choose "Symbol..." from Word's Insert menu, choose the appropriate font
and locate the cent sign, OR
* Select the cent sign from anywhere on this page, then select Copy.  In a
Notepad document, choose Paste, then save the file.  Now you have a ¢
whenever you need it - just copy & paste from your text file. (Thanks to
George Wells.)
* From your Start menu, choose Programs > Accessories > Character Map. Then
double click on the ¢ character. Click Select... click copy, then paste it
wherever you need the sign. (Thanks to Milena.)
* If you're really desperate, some programs will let you press the ALT key
and the ASCII combination for the special character you're looking for.  The
¢ is ALT+0162.  This works very well for those of you running DOS-based
text-only email clients and word processing programs. (Thanks to Carrie Beth.)

For more ¢ fun, see this site also, it's clever:
http://www.scruz.net/~canderso/the.htm

Happy ¢ing!

Matt