 Off-Topic / Geek / *60 (-10)
  Re: SETI@Home?

(...) Yeah, I hadn't really thought of that. One thing I'm going to regret is having to stop the SETI thing from running on my full-time Linux box at home. That's where I plan on running the EveryAuction script for a good while, and I don't know of (...) (25 years ago, 31-May-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: SETI@Home?

(...) Bloody awful but also bloody useful. I'm actually going to get my boss to send me to a new Linux admin class I got an e-mail about, but, for the most part, MS certification (and experience) is a lot more valuable where I live than Linux (...) (25 years ago, 30-May-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: SETI@Home?

(...) Yeah. My Celeron Mendocino 450 Win98 takes in the order of 26 hours or so as well, but it definitely varies a lot with the particular unit I'm running. Jasper (25 years ago, 30-May-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: SETI@Home?

(...) Yegh. Sounds bloody awful. (...) That works. Buy an old 386 with at least 8 megs and 100 megs, need no fulltime screen, keyboard, floppy, or CD drive. And it works quite well. barney:~# uptime 10:55pm up 43 days, 10:50, 1 user, load average: (...) (25 years ago, 30-May-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Mailing gateways for newsgroups

(...) You'll need either shell access to a computer or authority to execute CGI scripts from a webpage. Neither of these generally come with an ISP or web-provider account. If you have a shell account somewhere, learn how to use the newsreader they (...) (25 years ago, 30-May-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Multi-purpose tools.

Ah! A new group, and _perfect_ for the question I wanted to ask. Leatherman Wave, Leatherman Supertool with Tool Adapter, Victorinox Swisstool with bitset, or Leatherman Wave with modified Tool Adapter? Anyone who thinks he (or, to be PC, she) knows (...) (25 years ago, 30-May-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Lego miniatures wargames

Lorbaat wrote in message ... (...) stage (...) me (...) in (...) the (...) Though you aren't so interested in it, I'll list it anywise for those who would be... Lego Pirate game, see Steve Jackson's (of GURPS etc. fame) home page: (URL) (25 years ago, 28-May-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: SETI@Home?

(...) Unfortunately, none of my machines can be allowed to connect automatically, so I have to deal with connection failures. (...) I'm guessing they developed the software under Linux, then ported to Windows. And haven't changed optimization to (...) (25 years ago, 27-May-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: SETI@Home?

(...) Nope, I just put up with it. Since most of the computers I have running it are not in front of me it doesn't bother me. On thing I have noticed - on the same hardware, the Linux version STOMPS the Windows version. On my P2-450 it takes me (...) (25 years ago, 26-May-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: SETI@Home?

(...) turned my SETI@Home off for a couple of weeks. Once they release 1.1, I'll try that out. Steve (25 years ago, 26-May-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact