 Off-Topic / Fun / 7839
7838  |  7840
Subject:
Robots in Disguise... a good day for mecha
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 07:18:34 GMT

Hi Everyone!

Today at about 9:00pm I get a call from Sean Forbes, telling me they have
the new Robots in Disguise series at Wal Mart, along with the Bionicle CD
and silver mask.

So I hop in the car, drive down to Wal Mart, and snag the last Optimus Prime
and Ultra Magnus:

http://66.39.9.254/markstemp/Primenmagnus1.jpg

These are the latest Japanese Transformers to be released under a US title.
Supposedly there will be an associated cartoon this fall. Anyway, I digress.

Optimus Prime was the first one I opened. Yeah, he's a fire truck. Deal.

http://66.39.9.254/markstemp/prime1.jpg

The front cab comes off and turns into Optimus in his normal mode:

http://66.39.9.254/markstemp/prime2.jpg

The rear and ladder section turn into a base thing:

http://66.39.9.254/markstemp/prime3.jpg

Then you can stick the whole mess on Op for "Mega Mode," which I think is my
favorite. Pretty darn cool.

http://66.39.9.254/markstemp/prime4.jpg

It requires 2 AA batteries, which allow Optimus to yell "Optimus Prime,
Maximize!" or "Fire <gun noise>" or just fire engine sirens.

Then I moved on to Ultra Magnus. He's still in his relatively familiar car
transporter garb:

http://66.39.9.254/markstemp/magnus1.jpg

Ultra Magnus transforms into his robot mode, and he has a really large gun
that can be changed into 3 different types. The neat thing is, once you put
some batteries in him, the sound effect is different based on where you put
the gun. (There are little buttons that depress when you plug the gun into
certain locations)

http://66.39.9.254/markstemp/magnus2.jpg

I took a photo of the two of them together:

http://66.39.9.254/markstemp/magnusnprime1.jpg

Then you can get really wacky and attach Ultra Magnus' various parts to the
base Optimus Prime figure to create Omega Prime:

http://66.39.9.254/markstemp/omegaprime.jpg

You can see Magnus's gun on his right shoulder. Also, when you create Omega
Prime, another set of buttons are depressed and he says "Optimus Prime,
Ultra Magnus, Combine!"

Each figure cost $28.72 at Wal Mart. I recommend buying Optimus first,
because I think he's generally more impressive as a figure.

These figures are insanely complicated. I wouldn't recommend them for a kid
younger than about 10 unless your kid is rather skilled at moving and
switching complex shapes.

Pretty fun stuff. Hope you guys enjoy the photos. :^)

~Grand Admiral Muffin Head
--
Mark's Lego(R) Creations
http://www.nwlink.com/~sandlin/lego