 Off-Topic / Fun / 7861
Re: Robots in Disguise... a good day for mecha
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 02:52:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Mark Sandlin writes:
in article GGspCH.M18@lugnet.com, Jay Jacinto wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Mark Sandlin writes:

I don't like any of the Beast stuff. Just doesn't appeal to me.

<GASP!> I love the toys, and Beast Wars had some great stories.

Ok, part of why the beast stuff doesn't appeal to me is... well.. what's the
point? The original Transformers were created because the Ark repaired them
to be able to fit in with the vehicles and machinery of Earth. So they're in
"disguise" right?

What's the point of making a robot that can turn into an animal? Is it to
disguise themselves from animals? Why would you do that?

Is there some piece of back story from Beast Wars that will help me
understand this?

Timeframe: Many years after the Great War between the Autobots and Decepticons.
                  The two powers have a peace accord which is fragile at best.

Well, all of Beast Wars starts out with Megatron(not old school) stealing an
experimental Autobot(Maximal)transwarp ship, and a disc that is invaluable to
the Autobots.  Unfortunately the only other ship in the area is an exploratory
vessel commanded by Optimus Primal, named after the famous Optimus Prime. They
start to pursue Megatron, however, in the process Megatron activates the
transwarp drive.  Both ships are engaged in a fire fight at the time, so when
Megatron's ship enters transwarp the Maximal's ship is caught in it's wake and
pulled into the transwarp "conduit."

As they exit the conduit they are still shooting at each other and critically
damage each other. Fortunately they are near a planet, so they both head
towards it still firing at each other.  Both ships crash land, however, before
the Maximal ship crashes it ejects pods into orbit around the planet. The pods
contain "protoforms," which are bots that have not yet assumed a form.  Since
they are an exploratory vessel, when they reach a planet they assume the forms
of local life, which is what happened originally in Transformers. Teletran-1
mistook the machinery of Earth as the local lifeforms.

So, both ships crash land on the planet with the protoforms orbiting the earth.
The robots in each ships begin the process of adapting themselves to the
planet, so each ships scans for local lifeforms.  The Maximals adopt the forms
of a Rhinoceros(sic?), Cheetah, rat, and Gorilla. The Predacons assume the
forms of dinosaurs and local insects since that was the only DNA available in
the area.

To make a long but cool story short.  Due to the temporal effect of the
transwarp drive the bots learn that they land on prehistoric earth.  Megatron
actually planned this because the disc that he has is actually the disc the
original Voyager probe had on it.  He planned to rewrite history so that the
Autobots never defeated the Decepticons.  Also on the planet is the original
Ark which crashed a couple of millions years before. Megatron planned to
destroy Optimus Prime hopefully altering the future enough to thwart the
Autobots. However, the Maximals save the day.  Each group increased their ranks
somewhat with additions from the protoforms orbiting earth. Lives are lost,
Predacons defect, the Autobots and Decepticons appear, but in stasis, and
Ravage makes a cool appearance.  This all ends with the Ark ending up in the
position we see it in the original Transformers, and the Maximals heading back
to Cyberton, which forms the basis for Beast Machines.

HTH
Jay -- wonders why he has so much useless information in his head.