 Off-Topic / Fun / 6272
Re: LEGO Theatrical "trailer" Fight Club Spoilers!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 16:10:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dave Schuler writes:

D'oh!  PREVIEW first, *then* POST.

I have no trouble suspending disbelief when I watch a movie or read a
book; in fact, it's essential to the enjoyment of most modern entertainment.
However, I have trouble when we're required to accept that characters within
the film have suspended their disbelief, too.

  That's how the movie came across to me--that everyone in it was suspending
his/her respective disbelief just to accomodate Ed and Brad's characters,
rather than reacting as actual people would react when faced with similar
circumstances.
  I don't mean to seem petty in assigning such priority to characterization,
but that's generally my first concern in films.  The more sensational the
subject matter, the more important characterization becomes; when that falls
short, the portrayal of the subject matter becomes less meaningful.
  I might be interested to read the novel, but I don't think my assessment
of the film will be changed.  When was the novel written?

     Dave!