 Off-Topic / Fun / 6267
Re: LEGO Theatrical "trailer"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 15:47:16 GMT

From: "Lorbaat" <eric@nospam.thirteen.net>

but since the movie was
attempting to be about D&D, it was beholden in large measure to the spirit
of the game.

That's true.  Like I said, that was the biggest disappointment about the
movie.

Indeed. Among my complaints:

-Stupid Dragons- In my gaming experience, dragons are highly intelligent and
cunning, and will just as quickly cast a spell at you as they would use a
breath weapon. In this movie, they were basically flying dinosaurs. Not to
mention that they could have just knocked over that pesky mage tower at the
end, instead of barfing fire chunks at it.

-Stupid Mages- What was up with the female mage? She just stood around and
screamed. Not even a magic missile! She occasionally cast a Dimension Door
(or some such) and threw some magic powder that knocked people over. The
high-level mages at the end seemed incapable of casting anything other than
Fireball.

-Stupid Thieves- STOMP STOMP STOMP (waving brightly lit torch around instead
of hiding in shadows)

-Stupid Elves- How were the clanky heavily armored dudes able to sneak up on
the best tracker in the land outside the cave-of-getting-the-red-dragon-rod?

-Stupid cinematography- What was up with the
whooshing-in-from-a-dramatic-angle shots on EVERY building exterior in the
main city? I would rather they had saved that FX money and put in some more
spells or maybe less rubbery-looking dragons.

I tried very, very hard to go into this movie with low expectations. I saw
the trailers, and I heard it sucked ahead of time. I even went to see it
with some good friends, expecting to chuckle through it. It wasn't even
worth a chuckle... in fact, it was quite tiresome and painful.

Ugh.

Oh well, at least I got to see the Tomb Raider trailer on the big screen.
:^)

~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin
--
Mark's Lego Creations