 Off-Topic / Fun / 6271
Re: LEGO Theatrical "trailer" Fight Club Spoilers!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 16:05:04 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Eric Joslin writes:

but since the movie was
attempting to be about D&D, it was beholden in large measure to the spirit
of the game.

That's true.  Like I said, that was the biggest disappointment about the movie.

Having said that, I have to say that Fight Club was one of the most
overblown, overdone, and overlong pieces of film I've ever seen.

Hmm.  Have you read the novel?  What did you think was overblown or overdone
about it?  Did you not like the basic premise?  Did you feel that it's basic
message was counter to your own feelings about life?

  Haven't read the novel.  I wasn't too wowed by the message, which has been
done to death elsewhere (perhaps the novel preceded that, but the film
presented nothing new to me in that way.)  That whole treatment of identity
is a foundation piece of postmodernism, so in that regard the movie's simply
following a trend.
  In addition, I found the whole "oh-my-gosh-he's-me" bit to be arbitrary
and not especially interesting or useful.  This, again, has been done to
death in various media, and usually to better effect.  The fact that it had
little positive impact on the film can be illustrated with similar surprise
examples from other films, such as The Sixth Sense, The Usual Suspects, and
The Crying Game.  All of these films had "gotcha" surprises central to the
plot, such that if someone had revealed them to you beforehand, something
tangible would have been lost from your first viewing of the film.  That's
not the case with Fight Club, wherein the "he's-me" bit comes across as
unbelievable and arbitrary.  If I'd known about the "surprise" beforehand,
the movie would have been no better or worse, so the gimmick is just a gimmick.
  I have no trouble suspending disbelief when I watch a movie or read a
book; in fact, it's essential to the enjoyment of most modern entertainment.
However, I have trouble when we're required to accept that characters within
the film have suspended their disbelief, too.  That's