 Off-Topic / Fun / 4790
Re: Bizzah weatheh
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2000 05:22:25 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dan Boger writes:
Shiri Dori wrote:
OMG, if you're talking accents... the funniest thing in the world is to hear
Israelis try and speak english with no accent. Sorry if this insults any
Israelis... it's not that I dislike the accent, it's just funny and
recognizable. I can recognize Israelis pretty much anywhere just from • accents
(1).
I was lucky enuff to live in the US between ages 3-6 so I picked up the US
accent ;-)

careful there - I used to have a bostonian accent, cause I lived there
when I was 4-6... but when I moved back to Israel, I lost it, I
guess...  Now, while I don't have an Israeli accent, I still do have
something...  though Jenn says that no one can really tell I'm not a
native.  ;)

Perhaps the refresher year in boston when I was 17 helped :)

This is basically what's happening with me. No one realizes I'm an ESLer just
from small-talk, unless I come out and say it (or, if they talk with me long
enough, I'll get stuck with a word, or maybe start sticking random hebrew
words in the middle of an english sentence... I say "nu..." lots of times and
nobody gets it ;-)

If I stay here another year, I guess I'll be pretty rooted on the accent. My
younger sis definitely will be, if judging from my older sisters' cases (they
are actually at a 12 year difference from her, and it's been twelve years
since we last came to the US... so she's now at the same age they were when we
came to the US first. Sorry if I'm confusing anyone, my family history is
complicated ;-)
(Read all about it here: http://www.geocities.com/shiri_lego/about.html)

-Shiri