 Local / United States / Massachusetts / Boston / 576
Re: Bizzah weatheh
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 23:14:11 GMT

At least you don't live in a city where 99% of the residents can't pronounce
any of the local place names! Par example:

The name of the major river that runs through Portland (aka "poreland" or
"fartland, boregon") is properly called the "Willamette" (wil-LAM-et) but is
frequently mispronounced "William-et" or "Willy-am-et". The other major local
river is the "Columbia" which is commonly pronounced as a single syllable
"kl'mb'yuh". I won't even go into names like "Skookumchuk" or "Clackamas" or
"Multnomah" even though all these names are pronounced exactly as they are
written. (Imagine that; phonetic spellings for words that originated in a non-
written tongue!)

In lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, Dave Schuler writes:
I've mentioned this elsewhere, but this is one of very few towns whose name
is routinely mispronounced by (some of) the native inhabitants, ie:
Picksburgh.

ROFL! That's hilarious!

-Shiri