 Local / United States / Massachusetts / Boston / 577
Re: Bizzah weatheh
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 23:28:12 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, Matthew Wilkins writes:
At least you don't live in a city where 99% of the residents can't pronounce
any of the local place names! Par example:

The name of the major river that runs through Portland (aka "poreland" or
"fartland, boregon") is properly called the "Willamette" (wil-LAM-et) but is
frequently mispronounced "William-et" or "Willy-am-et". The other major local
river is the "Columbia" which is commonly pronounced as a single syllable
"kl'mb'yuh". I won't even go into names like "Skookumchuk" or "Clackamas" or
"Multnomah" even though all these names are pronounced exactly as they are
written. (Imagine that; phonetic spellings for words that originated in a non-
written tongue!)

Yeah.... I consider myself lucky for living in Israel most of my life... a
place where spelling is simple and generally phonetical! Sure, the male/female
thing is tough to grasp for an outsider, but easy when you learn it that way.
The only spelling problems one might encounter are when substituting similar
letters (eg Taf and Tet, or Kaf, H`et and Kuf).

-Shiri