 Off-Topic / Fun / 3813
3812  |  3814
Subject:
Longest railroad (was Re: Longest train?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 05:58:46 GMT

The big question remaining after this shocking news is, will BNSF+CN
merge with CSX or NS, as those are the two remaining eastern roads.
Whoever they go with, UP is sure to go with the other... at least that's
the conventional wisdom in the rail mags. CN caught most people off
guard I expect. We'll finally have a US transcon, 130 years after the
golden spike!

So much for the BNSF green/orange livery I bet.

Selling CN was a great thing to do by the canadian guv, and if you don't
agree, I'll see you in .debate... guvs have NO business owning things
that properly are private (but then I favored letting PC go bankrupt the
normal way instead of forming ConRail. The US gov got lucky. Actually
one argument advanced for rail dereg, which saved the whole industry, is
that the guv had to do it to recoup their massive ConRail investment)