 Off-Topic / Fun / 3446
Re: Dino Names (was: Tricerablock's horns)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 22:25:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, John Neal writes:

craig hamilton wrote:

In lugnet.adventurers, John Neal writes:

craig hamilton wrote:

In lugnet.adventurers, Peter Merryman writes:

I'm getting a kick out of these lego dino names.  Lemme just compile the • ones
I've seen people throw out there so far, and everybody get yer brains • churning
to add more.

Tricerablocks
Tyrannosaurus Brix
Legosaurus (or Stlegosaurus)
Pterodactal
Duplosaur
Brickiosaurus
Duplodicus
Paradisaurolophus
Duplaraptor
Archaeoptebryx

take it away....

-Pete

pete ~

you are a genius! paradisaurolophous is a gem!  i hope i can use some of • these
when i open jur-abs-ic park!

well, i've been in a building frenzy here for the past week, (inspired • and
feuled by lugnet.adventurers) and now i feel the need to share...

the current population of my jur-abs-ic park consists of:
~ one large red & orange t-rex (which is about 6 months old, and will be • in my
next update, before christmas, guys, i promise),
~ a parasaurolophous pod, (bull, doe, & 1 young) done in blue and trimmed • in
purple (from #5 crappy meal set!),
~ a pack of 3 utahraptors (red, yellow,& lt gray)
~ an archaeopteryx (black & white, using indian feathers),
~ a pair of brown, head-butting pachycephalosaurs,
~ a large lt gray & yellow pterosaur,
~ one little red deinonychus,
~ one lt & drk grey dilophosaur w/ gaudy red, yellow & orange frill & • crest.
~ a pack of 5 small (8 pcs ea) black compsognathus.
& ~ a small herd (3) of black gallimimus

i'm keeping them all in scale to each other, and as close as possible to • m-f
scale. (ok, a tad bigger, but mini-figs are short, so that reasons out.) • this
project will keep me busy for a while, but i'd like to get it done and • the pics
up before july to coencide with the tlc's hidden world sets' release.

i'm gonna need to take a break from it for a litle while.  the • brachiosaurs (i
want to do two), and reworking the steg and triceratops are next on my
agenda... then i can concentrate on the island itself, the buildings, • gates,
and vehicles.  what have i gotten myself into!?  i was so concerned with
whether or not i could; and never stopped to think whether or not i • _should_!
(sound familiar?)

Ian Malcolm
Did you ever get the chance to read the book?  It's the meat and the movie • is the
eye candy!

-John

bingo! yes, john, i read the novel years ago, prior to the film coming out.
i'm re-reading it now for inspiration and detail to go into this current • lego
endeavor.  the t-rex swims in the book, which is a scene that never made it • to
the movie.  jp is not the sharpest flick in the world, but what great • eye-candy
it is!  i also have all my other dino reference books spread out among the
lego, the most valuable of which is "the dinosaur data book" (pub.1990 by • the
diagram group).  dr. angela milner of the british museum's dept. of
paleontology was the head consultant on the book, and it has excellent scale
references.  i'm also a big fan of bob baker's "dinosaur heresies" and • "raptor
red".

DUDE!!  LOL  I *loved* _Dinosaur Heresies_ AND _Raptor Red_ {:^D  I also am a • huge
fan of Baker!  Loved the scene in JP when Timmy (Not *that* Timmy, AFOLs;) • meets Dr
Grant and quotes Baker regarding the dinos to birds thing-- great stuff!  How • about
the likeness of him in Lost World;-)

Another book that I love is _Predatory Dinosaurs_ by Gregory Paul.  I'd love
to talk dinos with you all day!  I especially enjoy the dinos>birds debate--
although short of buying all of the latest model dinos, I have been out of the
loop in terms of breaking news on the dino front.

Hey, we could even go off-topic and talk about the new dinolegos coming out
this year!  WOO-HOO!

-John

Dinos!  One of my fav subjects!  I must admit, tho, I've been out of the loop
to.  On the Dino/Bird thing, the November Issue of National Geographic is
supposed to have an article about them, including a Dino that could fly.  I
could be misremembering, 'cause I saw it on Explorer last night right before I
went to bed.  Never knew they had that show on CNBC...  Anyway, because of the
new species, many museums are adding feathers to all of their Theropods.
I'm gonna try to get the mag from my father as soon as he gets it, so I'll keep
you informed.

Jeff
P.S.  Craig, what made you decide to go with utahraptor as opposed to one of
the more well known species?

P.P.S  What dinosaur has the longest name?  (being somewhat behind on the
news, I could have this one wrong.  It is a small dinosaur with a one word
name)