 Off-Topic / Fun / 10599
Re: Over 70 LEGO products copied
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 16:59:20 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler wrote:

   Best-Lock isn’t quite a full-blown clone because the bricks don’t follow the same proportions as LEGO bricks, whereas MEGABLOKS (a true clone, if you will) does use the same dimensions. For example the proportions of a LEGO 2x4 brick (excluding the studs) are 3x5x10 (height x depth x length), while Best-Lock is 1x2x4 (just like the monolith, now that I think about it. Hmm...)

I think the monolith is 1x4x9(1), Dave! I think you’re endangering the mission when you post bad information, Dave! I think you should lie down and take a stress tab, Dave!

Hey, I didn’t specify which monolith I was citing.

Please demonstrate that, without any specific reference, it is reasonable to assume ANY OTHER monolith. That is, provide a cite to some other monolith just as, or more deeply, embedded in popular culture. :-)

   Now that you mention it, though, Best-Lock bricks and tiles allow you to build to the precise proportions of Clarke’s Monolith, 20 LDraw Units deep by 80 units wide by 180 units tall. Groovy.

I believe you can do that in LEGO too, although you may have to go out somewhat larger to get the proportions right.