 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2080
Re: Over 70 LEGO products copied
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 19:36:03 GMT

In lugnet.general, Dave Schuler wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Jason J. Railton wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Erik Bush wrote:
   Hey All,

Did anyone hear about all the “copies” of lego products? TLC posted this on the 14th http://www.lego.com/eng/info/default.asp?page=pressdetail

This article tells about many of the “copies” that other companies makes. ...

Err - did my post from yesterday get pulled, or just lost? I was wondering what the problem with the “Best-Lock” JCB was - I’ve seen them in the UK, and they don’t appear to clone either a specific Lego set or recent elements. It has a lot of custom elements in it instead.

Hi Jason: Best-Lock caused quite a stir

when it hit the fan on RTL a few years ago, largely because of initial perceptions that the Best-Lock minifigs were so similar to LEGO. As it turned out, they were rather different, as were the bricks, but the brouhaha was fun while it lasted. ...

That’s true - I remember seeing those other sets around too. Although they look like Lego themes, they’re not copies of specific sets. I seem to remember spotting that the 1x1 bricks are cubes too.

So, why are Lego parading it as an illegal pirate product?

Jason R