 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2077
Re: Over 70 LEGO products copied
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 16:17:20 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler wrote:

   Best-Lock isn’t quite a full-blown clone because the bricks don’t follow the same proportions as LEGO bricks, whereas MEGABLOKS (a true clone, if you will) does use the same dimensions. For example the proportions of a LEGO 2x4 brick (excluding the studs) are 3x5x10 (height x depth x length), while Best-Lock is 1x2x4 (just like the monolith, now that I think about it. Hmm...)

I think the monolith is 1x4x9(1), Dave! I think you’re endangering the mission when you post bad information, Dave! I think you should lie down and take a stress tab, Dave!

1 - http://fusionanomaly.net/monolith.html cited without endorsement or further comment

also from : http://www.designaddict.com/designaddict/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/threadshowone/threadid/887/index.cfm

1 is to 4 is to 9 The Golden Section deals with things on a 2 dimensional level. For instance, 2:3 is length:width, but the application of the Golden Section doesn’t provide for the third variable of depth. I think Mr. Clarke’s dimensions for the monolith take the Greek ratio of 3:5 and created a pleasing three dimensional shape out of a two dimensional ratio. If you notice: 1 (first number in monolith) plus 3 (golden section ratio) equals 4 (second number in monolith dimensions) plus 5 (second golden section ration) equals 9 (final number in monolith dimensions). Maybe I’m seeing a link that doesn’t exist but it feels like there is. :)

++Lar